عنوان مقاله [English]
Chitosan is a glucosamine polysaccharide deacetylated form of chitin species and could be used as biotic elicitor to improve secondary metabolites and as a fertilizer it controls the release of chemical compounds of toxins and stimulates germination and plant growth. Thus, to evaluate the effect of chitosan NPs on barley plants under late season drought stress, a factorial pot experiment was performed based on a randomized complete block design with three replications. The experimental factors were NPs concentrations at 4 levels (0, 30, 60 and 90 ppm), method of usage at 2 levels (foliar and soil application) and irrigation regimes at 2 levels (normal irrigation and with-holding irrigation 15 days after pollination). Experimental procedure consisted of planting seeds, preparing chitosan NPs solution, and using solutions through soil and foliar application at three plant growth stages (tillering, stem elongation and heading). Results indicated that drought stress significantly decreased contents of carotenoid, chlorophyll a, the chlorophyll b, the total chlorophyll, rate of photosynthesis, stomatal conductance, transpiration, grain yield, as well as, biomass. Results also showed that contents of soluble carbohydrate, glucose, sucrose, fructose, intercellular CO2 concentration (Ci) and photosynthetic water use efficiency (WUE) were increased. Also, under both irrigation regimes, application of chitosan NPs significantly increased the chlorophyll a, the chlorophyll b, the soluble chlorophyll and the glucose. Application of 60 and 90 ppm NPs significantly increased grain yield as compared to that of control. Signifficant diffrences for some traits under study between two usage methods of NPs were not observed. In general, application of chitosan NPs reduced negative effects of drought stress for barley plants and improved its growth and seed yield.
· Ahmadi, A., and D.A. Baker. 2000. Stomatal and no stomatal limitations of photosynthesis under water stress conditions in wheat plant. Iranian Journal of Agricultural Science. 31(4): 813-825. (In Persian).
· Arazmjo, A., M. Heidari, and A. Ghorbani. 2010. The effect of water stress and three sources of fertilizers on flower yield, physiological parameters and nutrient uptake in chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.). Iranian Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 25 (4): 482-494.
· Arnon, D.I. 1967. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphennoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology. 24(1):1-150.
· Bittelli, M., M. Flury, G.S. Campbell, and E.J. Nichols. 2000. Reduction of transpiration through foliar application of chitosan. Jornal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 107: 167-175.
· Boonlertnirunt, S., E.D. Sarobol, S. Meechoui, and I. Sooksathan. 2007. Drought recovery and grain yield potential of rice after chitosan application. Kasetsart Journal. 41: 1-6.
· Deepmala, K., A. Hemantaranjan, S. Bharti, and A. Nishant Bhanu. 2014. A future perspective in crop protection: chitosan and its oligosaccharides. Advances in Plants and Agriculture Research. 1 (1): 23-30.
· Dubois, M., K.A. Gilles, J.K. Hamilton, P.A. Rebers, and F. Smith. 1956. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analls Chemistry. 28 (3): 350-356.
· Dutta, P.K., J. Dutta, and V.S. Tripathi. 2004. Chitin and chitosan: chemistry, properties and applications. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 63: 20-31.
· Dzung, N.A., V.T. Phuong Khanh, and T.T. Dzung. 2011. Research on impact of chitosan oligomers on biophysical characteristics, growth, development and drought resistance of coffee. Carbohydrate Polymer. 84: 751–755.
· Ehdaie, B., G.A. Alloush, M.A. Madore, and J.G. Waines. 2006. Genotypic variation for stem reserves and mobilization in wheat. Crop Science.46 (2): 735-746.
· Emami Bistgani, Z., S.A. Siadat, A. Bakhshandeh, and A. Ghasemi Pirbalouti. 2017. The effect of drought stress and elicitor of chitosan on photosynthetic pigments, proline, soluble sugars and lipid peroxidation in Thymus deanensis Celak in Shahrekord climate. Environmental Stresses in Crop Sciences. 10(1): 12-19.
· Farooq, M., A. Wahid, D.J. Lee, O. Ito, and K.H.M. Siddique. 2009. Advance in drought resistance of rice. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences. 4: 199–217.
· Fisher, R., D. Rees, K. Sayre, Z. Lu, A. Candon, and A. Saavedra. 1998. Wheat yield progress associated with higher stomata conductance and photosynthetic rate, and cooler canopies. Crop Science. 38:1467-1475.
· Gautam, P.P., A.K. Fritz, M.B.K. Kirkham, and B. Gill. 2011. Response of aegilops species to drought stress during reproductive stages of development. Fundamental for Life. Soil, Crop and Environmental Sciences. International Annual Meetings. Pp: 16-19.
· Gornik, K., M. Grzesik, and B.R. Duda. 2008. The effect of chitosan on rooting of grapevine cuttings and on subsequent plant growth under drought and temperature stress. Journal of Fruit and Ornamental Plant Research. 16: 333-343.
· Hamim, H. 2005. Photosynthesis of C3 and C4 species in response to increased CO2 concentration and drought stress. Hayati Journal of Biosciences. 12 (4): 131-138.
Hefny, M.M. 2011. Agronomical and biochemical responses of white lupin Lupinus albus L. genotypes to contrasting water regimes and inoculation treatments. Journal of American Science. 7 (3): 187-198.
· Jie, Z., Y. Yuncong, J. Streeter, and D. Ferree. 2010. Influence of soil drought stress on photosynthesis, carbohydrates and the nitrogen and phosphorus absorb in different section of leaves and stem of Fugi/M.9EML, a young apple seedling. African Journal of Biotechnology. 9: 5320-5325.
· Kabiri, R., and M. Naghizadeh. 2015. Exogenous acetylsalicylic acid stimulates physiological changes to improve growth, yield and yield components of barley under water stress condition. Journal of Plant Physiology and Breeding. 5 (1): 35-45.
· Kalefetoglu Macar, T., and Y. Ekmekci. 2009. Alterations in photochemical and physiological activities of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) cultivars under drought stress. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 195: 335–346.
· Kar, G., A. Kumar, and M. Martha. 2007. Water use efficiency and crop coefficients of dry season oilseed crops. Agriculture Water Management. 87: 73–82.
· Khajeh, H., and S. Naderi. 2014. The effect of chitosan on some antioxidant enzymes activity and biochemictry characterization in Melissa (Melissa officinalis). Research Journal of Crop Science in Arid Area. 1: 100-116. (In Persian)
· Kovacik, J., M. Backor, M. Strnad, and M. Repcak. 2009. Salicylic acid-induced changes to growth and phenolic metabolism in Matricaria chamomilla plants. Plant Cell Report. 28: 135-143.
· Krcek, M., P. Slamka, K. Olsovska, M. Brestic, and M. Bencikova. 2008. Reduction of drought stress effect in spring barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) by nitrogen fertilization. Plant, Soil, Environment. 54 (1): 7–13.
· Lecoeur, J., and T.R. Sinclair. 1996. Field pea transpiration and leaf growth in response to soil water deficits. Crop Science. 36: 331-335.
· Li, B., X. Wang, R. Chen, W.G. Huangfu, and G.L. Xie. 2008. Antibacterial activity of chitosan solution against Xanthomonas pathogenic bacteria isolated from Euphorbia pulcherrima. Carbohydrat Polymer. 72: 287–292.
· Limpanavech, P., S. Chaiyasuta, R. Vongpromek, R. Pichyangkura, C. Khunwasi, and S. Chadchawan. 2008. Chitosan effects on floral production, gene expression, and anatomical changes in the Dendrobium orchid. Scince Horticulture. 116: 65-72.
· Luan, L.Q., N. Nagasawa, and M. Tamada. 2006. Enhancement of plant growth activity of irradiated chitosan by molecular weight fractionation. Radioisotopes.55: 21–27.
· Luo, Y. 1991. Changes of Ci/Ca in association with stomatal or no stomatal limitation to photosynthesis in water stressed Abutilon theophrasti. Journal of Photosynthetica. 25: 273-279.
· Ma, Q.SH., R. Niknam, and D.W. Turner. 2006. Response of osmotic adjustment and seed yield of Brassica napus and Brassica jounce to soil water deficit at different growth stages. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research. 57: 221-226.
· Mahdavi, B., and A. Rahimi. 2013. Seed priming with chitosan improves the germination and growth performance of ajowan (Carum copticum) under salt stress. Eurasian Journal Bioscience. 7: 69-76.
· Mahdavi, B., S.A.M. Modarres Sanavy, M. Aghaalikhani, and M. Sharifi. 2011. Effect of water stress and chitosan on germination and proline of seedling in safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.). Journal of Crop Improvement. 25: 728-741.
· Martin, M., F. Micell, J.A. Morgan, M. Scalet, and G. Zerbi. 1993. Synthesis of osmotically active substances in winter wheat leaves as related to drought resistance of different genotypes. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 171: 176–184.
· Nitar, N., S. Chandrkrachang, and W.F. Stevens. 2004. Application of chitosan in Myanmar’s agricultural sector. In proceedings of sixth asia-pacific: chitin and chitosan symposium, E. Khor, D. Hutmacher, L. L.Yong (eds.), Singapore.
· Oliviera-Neto, C.F., A.K. Silva-Lobato, M.C. Goncalves-Vidigal, R.C.L. Costa, B.G. Santos Filho, and G.A.R. Alves. 2009. Carbon compounds and chlorophyll contents in sorghum submitted to water deficit during three growth stages. Science and Technology. 7: 588-593.
· Pariser, E.R., and D.P. Lombardi. 1988. A guide to the research literature chitin. Source book. Plenum press, New York. USA, 560, P.
· Peiris, H.S., G.C. Dull, R.G. Leffler, and S.J. Kays. 1999. Spatil variability of soluble solids or drymatter content within individual fruits, bulbs, or tubers: implication for the development and use of NIR spectrometric tehniques. Horticultural Science. 34: 114-118.
· Rahbarian, R., R. Khavari nejad, A. Ganjeali, A.R. Bagheriand, and F. Najafi. 2011. Drought stress effects on photosynthesis, chlorophyll fluorescence and water. Acta Biologica Cracoviensia Series Botanica. 53: 47-56.
· Ramachandra, R.A., K.V. Choityana, and A. Ivekanadan. 2004. Drought-induced response to photosynthesis and antioxidant metabolism in higher plants. Journal of Plant Physiology. 161: 1189-1202.
· Ribas-Carbo, M., N. Taylor, L. Giles, S. Busquets, P.M. Finnegan, and D.A. Day. 2005. Effects of water stress on respiration in soybean leaves. Plant Physiology. 139: 466-473.
· Saeedi, M., F. Moradi, A. Ahmadi, R. Sepehri, G. Najafiyan, and A. Shabani. 2010. Effect of terminal drought stress on physiological characteristics and source-sink relations in two bread wheat cultivars (Triticum aestivum L.). Iranian Journal of Crop Sciences. 12 (4): 392-408. (In Persian).
· Samarah, N.H., A.M. Alqudah, J.A. Amayreh, and G.M. Mcandrews. 2009. The effect of late-terminal drought stress on yield components of four barley cultivars. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 195: 427-441.
· Sanchez, F.J., E.F. De Andres, J.L. Tenorio, and L. Ayerbe. 2003. Growth of epicotyls, turgor maintenance and osmotic adjustment in pea plants (Pisum sativum L.) subjected to water stress. Field Crops Research. 86: 81-90.
· Schutz, M., and E. Fangmeir. 2001. Growth and yield responses of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L. cv. Minaret) to elevated CO2 and water limitation. Environmental Pollution. 114: 187-194.
· Sheikha, S.A.K., and F.M. AL-Malki. 2011. Growth and chlorophyll responses of bean plants to the chitosan applications. European Journalof Scientific Research. 50 (1): 124-134.
· Singh, B., and B.K. Singh. 2001. Ribulose-1, 5-biphsphate carboxylase content and activity in wheat, rye and triticale. Biologia Plantarum. 44: 427-430.
· Smiley, R., R.J. Cook, and T. Pauliz. 2002. Seed treatment for sample grain cereals. Oregon State University, EM 8797.
· Tilahun, A., and S. Seven. 2003. Mechanisms of drought resistance in grain: PSII stomatal regulation and root growth. Ethiopian Journal of Science. 26: 137-144.
· Uthairatanakij, A., J.A. Teixeira da Silva, and K. Obsuwan. 2007. Chitosan for improving orchid production and quality. Orchid Science and Biotechnology. 1(1): 1-5.
· Webber, M., J. Barnett, B. Finlayson, and M. Wang. 2006. Pricing China’s irrigation water. Global Environmental Chang. 18: 617–625.
· Xiao, X., X. Xu, and F. Yang. 2008. Adaptive responses to progressive drought stress in two Populus cothayana populations. Silva Fennica. 42: 705-719.
· Yazdchi, S. 2008. Evaluation of yield and some characteristics of ten spring barley (Hordeum vulgar) varieties under limited and non-limited irrigation. Research Journal of Biological Sciences. 3 (12): 1456-1459.