عنوان مقاله [English]
Drought is an important factor affecting germination, early plant growth and its rate and decreasing economic performance of seedlings. Thus, seed priming to induce homogenice germination, emergence and increase the rate of growth and reduce adverse environmental effects results higher in yields. It also facilitates seedling emergence early and establishment of the plant. To study the effect of drought stress and seed priming on some vegetative and reproductive traits of castorbean (Ricinus communis), a split plot experiment based on randomized complete block design with three replications was conducted at the Saetlo Station of Agricultural and Natural Resources Research and Education Center of West Azerbaijan, during growing season of 2013. Main factors were drought stress with four levels (60, 90, 110 and 130 mm pan evaporation) and subfacotre were four seed priming treatments: control, hydro-priming, salicylic acid and hydrogen peroxide. Results of variance analysis showed that the drought stress significantly affected plant height, 1000 seed weight, grain yield, oil yield and grain harvest index. Seed priming also, significantly affected plant height, 1000 seed weight, seed yield, oil yield and harvest index. Interaction between water stress and priming treatments significantly affected grain yield. Considering the comparison of mean values, it was observed that plant height, 1000-seed weight, seed yield, oil yield and harvest index, at 60-mm evaporation from the pan had the highest values. Seed priming affected all of the traits and salicylic acid treatment also was able to affected the highest amount of all traits. The highest grain yield and 1000 grain weight were due to the interaction of 60 mm evaporation from the evaporation pan and seed priming with salicylic acid.
· Adalatpishe, M., R. Abasdokht, and N. Montazari. 2009. Halo priming and priming on germination of maize under drought and salinity stress conditions. Journal of Agriculture and Natural Resources Golestan. 2: 79-67. (In Persian).
· Akpan, U.G., A. Jimoh, and A.D. Mohammad. 2006. Extraction, characterization and modification of castor seed oil. Leonardo Journal Science. 8: 43-52.
· Akramghaderi, F., E. Soltani, and A. Miri. 2008. Effect of seed priming on germination response to temperature in cotton. Journal of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources. 15(3): 51-44.
· Ashrafi, E., and J. Razmjoo. 2014. Effect of seed hydropriming and irrigation regimes on grain, biological yield, harvest index, oil and protein content of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) cultivars. Agronomy Journal (Pajouhesh & Sazandegi). 103: 61-68. (In Persian)
· Azizi, M., A. Soltani, and S. Khavari. 2008. Canola, physiology, agronomy, plant breeding and biotechnology. Publications Jihad Mashhad University. 220 pages.
· Bradford, K.J. 1995. Water relations in seed germination. In: J. Kigel and G. Galili (eds.). Seed Development and Germination, pp. 351- 396. Marcel Dekker Inc. New York.
· Derya, O. 2012. The effect of different priming treatments and germination temperatures on germination performance of lentil (Lens culinaris Medik) seeds. Journal of Agriculture and Biology Sciences. 7(12): 977-981.
El Tayeb, M., and N. Ahmed. 2010. Response of wheat cultivars to drought and salicylic acid. American-Eurasian Journal of Agronomy. 3 (1): 01-07.
· Farooq, M., S.M. Basra, and A.N. Ahmad. 2006. Imporoving the performance of transplanted rice by seed priming. Plant Growth Regulation. 51: 129-137.
· Farooq, M., T. Aziz, S.M.A. Basra, M.A. Cheema, and H. Rehman. 2008. Chilling tolerance in hybrid maize induced by seed priming with salicylic acid. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 194(2): 161-168.
· Gaderi, A., B. Kamyar, and A. Soltani. 2008. Science and seed technology. Publications Jihad Mashhad University. 512 p. (In Persian).
· Gholinezhad, E., A. Aynaband, A. Hassanzade Ghorttapeh, G. Noormohamadi and I. Bernousi. 2012. Effects of Drought Stress, Nitrogen Amounts and Plant Densities on Grain Yield, Rapidity and Period of Grain Filing in Sunflower. Journal of Agricultural Science and Sustainable Production. 22(1): 129-143. (In Persian).
· Hanan, E.D. 2007. Influence of salicylic acid on stress tolerance during seed germination of Triticum aestivum and Hordeum vulgare. Biological Research. 1: 40- 48.
· Hassanzadeh Ghorttapeh, A., and S. Naibi. 2016. Effects of plant population and planting pattern on vegetative and reproductive characteristics of castor bean (Ricinus communis L) plant. Agronomy Journal (Pajouhesh & Sazandegi). 111: 1-10. (In Persian).
· Jahannavard, Sh., M. Tajbakhsh, I. Bernosi, and A. Hassanzadeh. 2012. Determination of sowing dens and plant densities of castor bean crop in Umia region. Agronomy Journal (Pajouhesh & Sazandegi). 100: 186-194. (In Persian).
· Kafi, M., and M. Rostami. 2007. Yield characteristics and oil content of three safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) cultivars under drought in reproductive stage and irrigation with saline water. Iranian Journal of Field Crop Science. 5: 121-132. (In Persian).
· Khan, A.A. 1999. Preplant physiological seed conditioning. In: J. Janik (ed). Horticultural revie.
· Kiran, B.R. and M. Prasad. 2017. Ricinus communis L. (Castor bean), a potential multi-purpose environmental crop for improved and integrated phytoremediation. European Biotechnology Journal. 1(2): 101-116.
· Kumar, H. 2000. Development potential of safflower in comparision to sunflower, sesame and safflower newsletter. Institute of Sustainable Agriculture. Spain. No. 15: 86-89.
· Lima G.S.D., H.R. Gheyi, R.G. Nobre, D.A. Xavier, and L.A D. Soares. 2016. Castor bean production and chemical attributes of soil irrigated with water with various caronic composition. Revista Caatinga, Mossoró. 29(1): 54-65.
Mir-Mahmoodi, T., S, Karbalaye Golizadeh, N. Khaliliqhdam and S. Yazdanseta. 2014. The effect of salicylic acid on rate germination and seedling establishment on rapeseed (Brassica napus L.). International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research. 2(6): 2319-1473.
·Seefeldet,S.S.,K.K. Kidwell, and J.E. Waller. 2002. Base growth temperature, germination rates and growth responses of contemporary spring wheat (Triticum aestivum. L) cultivars from the USA pacific North West. Field Crops Research. 75: 47-52.
· Seyahjani, E.A., F. Farhvash, MB Khorshidi Benam, A. Sadeghim. 2010. Studying the effect of drought stress on yield and yield components of three sunflower cultivars. Environmental Stresses in Crop Sciences. 3(1): 59-68.
·Shakirova, F.M., A.R. Sakhabutdinova, M.V. Bezrukova, R.A. Fatkhutdinova, and D.R. Fatkhutdinova. 2003. Changes in the hormonal status of wheat seedlings induced by salicylic acid and salinity. Plant Science. 164: 317-322.
· Shekari, F., M. Pakmehr, and G. Goreyshi. 2010. The effect of priming with salicylic acid on some physiological traits under drought stress during pod cowpea. Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 3: 29-13. (In Persian).
· Singh, K.B., and M.V. Osha. 2003. Resistance to six races of Ascochyta rabiei in the world germplasm collection of chickpea. CropScience. 33: 186-189.
· Viola, A.O., and G.E. Anekwe. 2001. Amino acids and other biochemical components of Ricinus communis (variety minor), an anti-conceptive. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science. 4: 866-868.
· Weiss, E.A. 2000. Oilseed Crops. Blackwell Sci. 364p.
· Yang, Q.H., X. Wei, X.L. Zeng, W.H. Ye, X.J. Yin, W. Zhang-Ming, and Y.S. Jiang. 2007. Seed biology and germination ecophysiology of Camellia nitidissima. Forest Ecology and Management. 255: 113-118.
· Zeynali, 2008. Safflower. Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. 420 pages.
· Zhou G., B.L. Ma, C.N. Feng, L. Jianfei, and P. Qin. 2010. Determining salinity threshold level for castor bean emergence and stand establishment. Crop Science. 50(5): 2030-2036.