عنوان مقاله [English]
Chitosan is one of the bio-elicitors that cause physiological and morphological changes in plants. To this end, two separate experiments were carried out to investigate the effect of chitosan on morphological and physiological traits of lemon verbena under in vitro and field conditions. 12.5, 25, 50 and 100 ppm concentrations of chitosan were added to MS culture medium and their effects on lemon verbena growth indices were evaluated. The results showed that chitosan had a significant effect on all traits, except for the normal plantlet percentage, lateral shoots and chlorotic leaf numbers evaluated. Increasing chitosan concentrations up to 50 and 100 ppm under in vitro condition increased longest shoot length, chlorophyll content and plantlet length in lemon verbena explants but it reduced node numbers of the longest shoot when all concentrations of chitosan were used. Increasing the effect of chitosan on rooting percentage and root numbers were positive and reached the highest levels at concentrations of 50 and 100 ppm. It was also found that the shoot fresh weight, the leaf number and longest root have a positive effect on chitosan and had a better effect on concentrations less than 100 ppm. However, the use of chitosan showed irregular changes in the amount of citral. The effect of chitosan with 12.5, 25, 50 and 100 ppm concentrations were evaluated on growth indices of lemon verbena under field condition. The positive effect of chitosan concentration of 50 ppm was observed for inflorescence number, inflorescence length and leaf fresh weight. Because of positive effects of chitosan concentrations of 50 and 100 ppm, on most growth characteristics of lemon verbena in field and tissue culture conditions their applications could be recommended in plantations of this tree.
· Alaviasl, S.A., S. Mansourifar, S.A.M. Modarres Sanavy, K. Sadatasilan, S.A. Tabatabaei, and M. Moradi Ghahderijani. 2016. Effect of chitosan and zeolite on growth and yield of sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) under different irrigation conditions in Yazd. Environmental Stresses in Crop Sciences. 9(2): 163-172. (In Persian).
· Amiri, A., A. Sirousmehr, and S. Esmaeilzadeh Bahabadi. 2015 a. Effect of foliar application of salicylic acid and chitosan on yield of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.). Journal of Plant Research (Iranian Journal of Biology). 28(4): 712-725. (In Persian).
· Amiri, A., P. Yadolahi, A.R. Siroosmehr, and S. Esmaeilzade. 2015b. Effect of drought stress and chitosan and salicylic spray on morphological parameters of Carthamus tinctorius L. in Sistan. Journal of Oil Plants Production. 2(1): 43-56. (In Persian).
· Ayyobi, N., B. Hosseini, and M. Fattahi. 2017. Induction effects of colchicine and chitosan on rosmarinic acid production in hairy root cultures of zarrin-giah (Dracocephalum kotschyi Boiss. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Researches. 30(1): 1-13. (In Persian).
· Gornik, K., M. Grzesik, and B. Romanowska Duda. 2008. The effect of chitosan on rooting of grapevine cutting and on subsequent plant growth under drought and temperature stress. Journal of Fruit and Ornamental Plant Research. 16: 333-343.
· Kamkar, A., A. Khanjari, M. Oladi, and E. Molaee Aghaee. 2017. Effect of packaging with chitosan film containing Bunium persicum L. essential oil on chemical and microbial properties of chicken fillet. Journal of Fasa University of Medical Sciences. 7(1): 104-115. (In Persian).
· Khakshoor, M.S. and J. Pazooki. 2014. Extraction of chitin-chitosan component in exoskeleton of blue swimming crab (Portunus segnis Furskal, 1775), Bandar Abbas beach, Persian Gulf. Scientific Research Journal of Animal Environment. 6(1): 11-19. (In Persian).
· Lee, D.W., H. Lim, H.N. Chong, and W.S. Shim. 2009. Advances in Chitosan Material and its Hybrid Derivatives: A Review. The Open Biomaterials Journal. 1: 10-20.
· Mahdavi, B., S.A.M. Modarres Sanavy, M. Aghaalikhani, and M. Sharifi. 2013. Effect of chitosan on safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) seed germination and antioxidant enzymes activity under water stress. Journal of Plant Research (Iranian Journal of Biology). 26(3): 352-365. (In Persian).
· Mahdavi, B., S.A.M. Modarres Sanavy, M. Aghaalikhani, M. Sharifi; and S.A. Alavi Asl. 2014. Effect of foliar application of chitosan on growth and biochemical characteristics of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) under water deficit stress. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research. 12(2): 229-236. (In Persian).
· Malekpoor, F., A. Salimi, and A. Ghasemi Pirbalouti. 2017. Effect of bioelicitor of chitosan on physiological and morphological properties in purpule basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) under water deficit. Journal of Plant Ecophysiology. 8(27): 56-71. (In Persian).
· Mehregan, M., A. Mehrafarin, M.R. Labbafi, and H. Naghdi Badi. 2017. Effect of different concentrations of chitosan biostimulant on biochemical and morphophysiological traits of stevia plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2(62): 169-182. (In Persian).
· Mohebalipour, N. 2011. Effect of growth regulators on the amount of citral of Melissa officinalis L. ecotypes in in vitro culture conditions and their genetic analysis using ISSR markers. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Tabriz. 166 pp. (In Persian).
· Mondal, M.M.A., M.A. Malek, A.B. Puteh, and M.R. Ismail. 2013. Foliar application of chitosan on growth and yield attributes of mungbean (Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek). Bangladesh Journal of Botany. 42(1): 179-183.
· Mousavi, H., N. Mahdi Nezhad, B. Fakheri, M. Majdi, and F. Heidari. 2017. Effects of some nanoparticles on expression of germacrene A synthase (TpGAS) and parthenolide synthase (TpPTS) genes in Tanacetum parthenium L. under water deficit stress. Iranian Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 33(2): 314-324. (In Persian).
· Nourafcan, H. 2018. Effect of salicylic acid on morpho-physiological characteristics of lemon verbena (Lippia citriodora) in in vitro and field conditions. Journal of Crop Ecophysiology. 12(2): 303-316. (In Persian).
· Nourafcan, H. and F. Ansari. 2017. The effect of MS and B5 media on growth indices of lemon verbena in in vitro condition. Iranian Journal of Horticultural Science. 48(1): 249-252. (In Persian).
· Oladzad, A., A. Qaderi, H. Naghdi Badi, and A. Zare. 2012. Rapid micropropagation of lemon verbena (Lippia citriodora L.) using in vitro culture. Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2(42):145-153. (In Persian).
· Salachna P. and A. Zawadzińska. 2014. Effect of chitosan on plant growth, flowering and corms yield of potted freesia. Journal of Ecological Engineering. 15(3): 97–102.
· Salehi, S., Z. Rezayatmand, and A. Ghasemi Pirbalouti. 2017. The effect of foliar application of chitosan on yield and essential oil of savory (Satureja isophylla L.) under salt stress. Journal of Herbal Drugs. 8(2): 101-108.
· Sultana, S., M. Islam, M.A. Khatun, M.A. Hassain, and R. Huque. 2017. Effect of foliar application of oligo-chitosan on growth, yield and quality of tomato and eggplant. Asian Journal of Agricultural Research. 11(2): 36-42.
· Taheri Azizabadi, H., N.A. Bagheri, and N.A. Babaeian Jelodar. 2016. The optimization of callus induction and regeneration in medicinal lemon verbena (Lippia citriodora) Plant. Journal of Plant Process and Function. 5(17): 53-62. (In Persian).
· Taheri, G.H. 2016. Effects of chitosan spraying on physiological characteristics of Ferula flabelliloba (Apiaceae) under drought stress. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research. 13(4): 728-737. (In Persian).
· Tran-Thi, N.T., H. Casabianca, M. Florence, and G. Loustalot. 2006. Authenticity control of essential oils containing citronellal and citral by chiral and stable-isotope gas-chromatographic analysis. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 386: 2141–2152.
· Yadollahi Dehchecsme, P., A. Bagheri, A. Amiri, and S. Esmailzade Bahabadi. 2014. Effect of drought tension and chitosan foliar application on yield and photosynthetic pigments of sunflower (Heliantus annuus L.). Crop Physiology Journal. 6(21): 73-83. (In Persian).